One of my favorite blogs recently talked about the idea of a To-Don’t List and why it’s just as important to consider – if not more – as a To-Do List.
A to-don’t list is a list that includes things you should never do because they are either time wasters, bad habits or things that hold you back from having a happy and successful life… To-do’s, while a great success tool, only get you half way there. To-don’ts take you the rest of the way.
I’ve never sat down to create such a list before (sounds like a parent’s dream!), so today I thought we could run through the exercise together and see what we come up with. Tom’s studied hundreds of millionaires over the years whose habits are the main focus of his blog (RichHabits.net) and his book (same name – Rich Habits), so I feel like if it’s working for them it would work for us too ;)
Here’s what I came up with. My very first To-Don’t List!
- Don’t ignore my kids
- Don’t ignore my wife
- Don’t ignore my budget!
- Don’t go shopping when bored
- Don’t hang around toxic people
- Don’t say “yes” to every opportunity (if it’s not a “hell yeah” it’s a “hell no”)
- Don’t stare at a screen every 5 seconds
- Don’t think about money all the time
- Don’t worry about what other people are thinking
- Don’t eat every donut I ever come into contact with
- Don’t take myself so seriously
- Don’t be jealous of all the awesome things people are doing
- Don’t be jealous of all the awesome money people are making! (So hard to do!)
- Don’t forget to review your expenses every now and then
- Don’t forget to dream every now and then
- Don’t get into debt for something stupid
- Don’t be so hard on myself
- And most importantly, don’t forget to have fun :)
I swear I need that last one stapled to my forehead whenever I get sucked into “adulting,” haha… Remember when we were kids and all we were concerned with was having fun? And we still managed to accomplish it without a penny in our pockets? Boy how times have changed…
Anyways, that’s my To-Don’t List! Your turn to jot some down and help balance yourself out :)
What would be even more interesting actually, would be seeing how many of the to-do’s we check off in spite of our to-don’ts!
“You finally landed that promotion you’ve been working your ass off to get? Congrats! Btw, here are the divorce papers from ignoring your wife, womp womp…”
“I’m having the time of my life on this cruise – look at me, weeeeee! Oh, wait. I have to pay off that $5,000 I just slapped on the credit card? *Face palm*”
Haha… This list is looking more and more important the more I think about it ;)
PS: Here are a handful of other habits wealthy people do too.
[Tattoo pic by robandstephanielevy / Tweaked by J$]
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!