You know what’s fun? Reading a newspaper again.
I randomly picked up a Wall Street Journal yesterday and immediately locked eyes on an article about Warren Buffett and all his financial wizardry. Or rather, the wizardry of all those people who realized he was onto something back in the 60’s and scooped up his stock for a whopping $40!! Can you imagine?? It’s currently trading at $200,000 right now. EACH.
It also of course mentioned the fact that Warren still lives in his $31,500 home he picked up in 1958, and how much he thinks budgets are sexy. Or at least it stated one of those widely accepted facts :)
There was also a funny clip about poop:
It’s funny – whenever you start paying attention to something, all of a sudden you see it everywhere! This whole week has been about goals and being a better steward with our money, and Mr. Buffett and disciples soar at this exceptionally. If you weren’t aware, he and Billy Gates have pledged to give away over HALF their wealth, which Buffett’s alone hovers in the $62 BILLION range. And they’re urging the world’s other multi-billionaires to give at least half their fortunes to charity too.
This is why I’m voting for him for President :)
But guess what? There are other rock stars doing some pretty amazing things with their money too, and these guys are sitting here right now reading these words as I’m type them onto the screen!
That’s right – I’m talking about YOU!
All 100+ of you who participated in our inaugural Be Proud of Your Money Day and helped kick the holiday off right. Which no one had ever heard of just the day before (including myself ;)), and then BAM! It shoots across the world and officially goes from being a National holiday to an International one within hours. Yeah internet! (Sorry newspapers)
But that wasn’t all…
Not only did you share all your awesome wins with us from throughout the year, but you also helped raise over $100 towards our new financial literacy foundation! WOO! Something I recently joined up to advise on, and will soon be rocking some pretty good projects through as soon as we’ve got our ducks in order… But for now, we stash the monies and get ready for their deployment!
(If you’d like to donate, btw, you can easily do so here or by simply sharing your own financial wins with us in the comment section of Wednesday’s post. I’ve extended the donations over the weekend, so each new comment will activate another $1.00 towards our mission. It doesn’t get any easier than that!)
What our community has been accomplishing
So what have y’all been working on – and crushing – so diligently this year? Between your life, money, and all your businesses?
I’ll tell you… Because it’s been a pretty damn impressive thing to see! And once again shows how any of this stuff is possible if you care enough and make it a priority. So keep pushing forward, friends!!
A smattering of what you’ve been achieving:
- I bought a house with cash!
- I began tracking my net worth
- I went on a “no dining out” month
- I raised my credit score by 168 points!
- I got my husband to learn and care about investing
- I grew my pet sitting side hustle into a true job and income stream
- I hit $200k net worth just before my 30th birthday
- I renovated a four plex and filled it with tenants!
- I paid off all my student loans!
- I moved across the country
- I move across the world
- I fully funded my IRAs
- I saved 50% of my income
- I asked for more money at work — twice — and got it — twice.
- I started a side hustle driving Uber to pay off the last of my car loan
- I finally, finally started investing instead of leaving my retirement savings to the mercy of inflation in an ALL CASH account. ALL CASH, you guys!
- I quit my teaching job and started my own company
- I actually *looked at* all of our student loans and how much we owe
- I did NOT give into lifestyle inflation after getting a hefty raise over the summer
- I used half of my emergency fund to help out my kids and pay for my dog’s cancer surgery and chemotherapy, and still have enough currently for 3 months living.
- I launched my blog 10 months ago and it generates pretty decent income already
- I haven’t used a credit card once this year (cash or nothing baby!)
- I’m on track toward fulfilling my goal of TRIPLING MY INCOME
- I’ve started a side hustle teaching fitness classes
- I doubled my income and saved over $70K
- I maxed out 401k, HSA, and Roth IRA!
- I finished paying the last of a string of a $200,000.00 medical bill
- I paid off my mortgage, like it was NO BIG DEAL! (But it totally was) ;)
- I created a “family bank” that everybody bought into and can take loans on w/ member approval
- I’m making people more aware that I produce videos I like for a living and stuff
- This is the first year with my wife and I not working and being debt free
- I have more money in savings now than ever in my entire life!
- My net worth went from $0 to $5,000 in just 10 months
- And my personal favorite: I haven’t given up even when things have been really tough and stressful.
Amen to that… And remember, all this stuff has pretty much been accomplished within THIS year alone. Isn’t that just crazy? Warren Buffett would be proud indeed.
Services y’all have been taking advantage of
I also noticed quite a few companies being dropped that’s helped some of you achieve these monumental accomplishments too. Here were the ones I caught, along with links to those we’ve reviewed here on this site:
- Digit (saving)
- Acorns (investing)
- Vanguard (investing)
- Personal Capital (tracking investments / money / net worth)
- YNAB (budgeting – this came up MULTIPLE times as being a life saver, and I’m embarrassed to say that I still haven’t reviewed it after all these years :( That’ll change shortly though, so in the meantime if you want to see what the fuss is about, click on over using that link and it’ll give you $6.00 off the software if you end up going for it. It really is worth looking into.)
- AMEX Blue c/c (for 6% cash back – and coincidentally the card I use for my business too)
- Betterment (investing – review also coming soon!)
- Mint.com (budgeting)
So technology has been playing its part too!
One more thing before we wrap it up and get back to the real world…
After reading this you’ll either get super motivated to get out there and kick some ass, or you’ll be sitting back feeling a bit deflated. And I’m not gonna lie – I got a bit jealous myself reading some of these as my two big accomplishments for the year were “not buying any lottery tickets” and “starting to save again” – hah! For those of you collectively sighing right now though, remember this:
For all the wins listed, there were probably 5x the failures.
No one got to where they are today without starting from the same place you did – ground zero. They hustled, they failed, they got lucky, they got *older*, and the truth is they’re all in different phases with their money and goals right now. Some of them might be the same as ours, but ultimately we all have to find our own way to the finish line.
So do your best to soak in the inspiration, and then try even harder not to compare!
It’s not easy, but it’s important… If we had a National “Tell Us How Much You Suck With Money!” Day, I guarantee the comments would crash the site ;) And that would just be depressing…
[Killer mustache pic by Aaron Friedman]
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!