Welp, my non-lottery playing record of 7 months in a row has just grinded to a halt! As soon as I heard Powerball was over the $450 Million mark it was “all in” from there, haha… and three days later it’s now over $500 MILLION!! A new record! (And likely to go up even more throughout the day…)
So instead of picking up just one ticket, I picked up two ;) And that last one almost didn’t make it. I’d been running low on cash ever since I got into the coin collecting hobby (I try to pick up one new coin a week!), so when I handed the 7-Eleven guy my $2 bucks to pick up the tickets he just laughed at me and said something like “Where have you been all year? They’re now $2 a pop!” Well sorrrrrrrry, Mr. lottery man. Someone has been behaving lately and avoiding them! I guess that’s why the pot keeps getting to these enormous numbers, eh?
Anywho, I ran back out of the store to pester my wife for the dollar I was missing, and then sprinted back in to complete the transaction. I knew I could just skip the 2nd one and stay with only the one ticket, considering they’re double the cost now, but I’d be KICKING myself if that 2nd ticket ended up being the winner! It’s way too much to handle for someone who hates “what ifs” ;)
So we’ll see what happens tonight when they roll those little white balls! (Ow ow!) And of course we then had to talk about all the things we’d do if we won, and how it would change our lives for the best AND worst, and that in the end we probably *wouldn’t* want to win anyways, haha… So basically we wasted $4 bucks ;)
If it was in the cards though, here’s what we’d do:
- Never ever EVER tell anyone! Not even you guys here on the blog (sorry! I guess you’ll just never know if we won or not, haha…). I’ve watched too many documentaries on what happens to those people who flaunt it, and there’s no way we’re falling into that trap. I just hope our state doesn’t REQUIRE that they tell everyone our names and then snap a big goofy picture of us holding that check! It is pretty cool, I’ll give it that, but I’d much prefer to stay out of the spotlight if at all possible with that stuff.
- Hire a financial manager ASAP. I’m not even gonna pretend I’ll know exactly what to do with that type of money ;) And I’ll be sure to pick someone internally like a manager one of my friends or family trusts a lot – I just won’t tell them exactly why I need it… (Actually, I’d like to edit #1 up there and say I *would* tell our parents about it cuz you really can’t NOT even if you tried. And since we’d also help the rest of our direct family out (see #7 below) I guess we’d have to tell them too, sigh… Those people better keep a secret! ;))
- Probably take the “all cash” buy out. Currently at $327.4 Million! We’d talk it over with our financial manager we just hired, of course, but my feeling is the “all cash” route is the way to go. Just so you’re in control 100% of it from the get go, and there’s no weird “what if it stops coming one day?” type of thing… I’d much rather have it paid out to me like with a salary or whatever (how cool would THAT be?), but you can always set up your investments to do that for you anyways.
- Buy myself a pimp-ass SUV! Probably a slick Range Rover or G-Class Benze. Nothing *super* expensive, but still on the tad bit obnoxious side ;) Then probably upgrade my wife’s car too and leave it at that for now…
- Pay off our Mortgage completely, and then sell the house. Or maybe sell the house and then pay off what’s left of the mortgage? Either way we’d have no more mortgage anymore and we wouldn’t be living in our house either. It would help us move a TON faster like we’ve really been wanting to do lately, and then we’d buy something super nice but also super un-large. No mansions or anything, but def. something with all the perks on the inside and close distance to wherever our hearts desire.
- Fund Baby $’s college account. Just so it’s good to go no matter what else happens!
- Give a sizeable (and equal!) chunk to all family members! Which they can do as they please with it… Except for maybe my uncle who seems to be allergic to money. I’d just buy him a small house and let him and his girlfriend live happily ever after in it… they’re almost in their 60’s and pretty much live off the government, ugh… but that’s for a whole other day.
- Donate a big chunk to charity and/or start another one :) This time not having to worry as much about my own personal income while I run it! Haha… Always a better position to be in.
- Save/Invest the rest. What’s left of it anyways ;) But I reckon we’d at least have $100 Mil+ after all the above was said and done… if not $200M. And that’s WELL more than the average person will ever need in their lifetime… I’d have to set up a ton of ways to grow it too so our legacy can go on – there’s no way we’d be able to spend it all even if we wanted to. We’re too damn conscious of our money to allow for that. And also frugal :)
- Continue working and living life as normal as possible! I’d take a nice vacation and hire someone to do all the stupid stuff I have to do when being self-employed, but you can bet I’d continue blogging and creating all those random projects and ideas I constantly have in my head! I would be a horrible retiree – I can’t sit still. And with tons of money in the bank I bet I’d come up with some pretty killer ones too! When income is out of the question you magically create things purely for the love of it all, haha… I’d finally then be able to use all my 500 web domains too ;)
So that’s what I’d do if we won. Errr… when we win. If this blog ever goes blank for a few days in a row, you’ll know exactly what happened ;) It would be the first time in 4+ years without any posts! Yikes!
Now as you probably guessed, it’s time to ask you what YOU’D do if you happened accross Lady Luck tonight? Are your lists anywhere as predictable as mine? Or would you do something magnificently different? Let us know below and we can all salivate together :)
Just remember that the only way to win is to play! (And it will now cost you double…)
Photo credit: byDavvi
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!