Came across this ridiculous study by LendEDU but can’t stop looking at it, haha…
They asked 1,200 employed Americans a series of “would you rather” questions to see what they’d give up in exchange for a 10% raise, and their answers were as crazy as they were entertaining ;)
Here are some of the results – would you do any of these??
40.06% would give up dental care for a 10% raise
(No. F’ing. Way.)
12.2% would breakup with their partner or significant other
For just 10%?? You might as well break up with them now if that’s all their worth, haha….
53.55% would give up all social media for 5 years in order to get a 10% raise
I do like this one a lot :) And just shows yet again how much we actually don’t gain from social media despite our hours of addiction to it!!
18.9% would give up access to health insurance for the next five years
Nope nope nope… you’d blow through that 10% in the first year when you break your leg!
55.9% would work an extra 10 hours per week for life
Why not just get a second job??? Where you’d make more than 10% and have your own freedom to change it forever?? This one just doesn’t make sense…
9.13% would give up their child’s or future child’s right to vote in all elections for life
50.65% would give up watching movies for the next three years
I would do that :)
88.61% would give up watching Game of Thrones for life
Yes. Easy! Aren’t we on the last season or so?
73.42% would give up all alcoholic beverages for the next five years
Now THIS one is good… I know I could do it for at least one year – but five?? That is a lot, haha…. I’m sure the extra savings on top of the 10% income boost would help keep you motivated though!
5.33% would eat a single tide pod :)
And possibly kill yourself??
50.4% would work one day every weekend for the next year
Again – same thing as side hustling or taking on an extra job – you don’t need to wait for the Would You Rather fairy to grant you that! Just go out and make it happen!
And that last part there is the key ;) You don’t have to give up anything or do something crazy to earn an extra 10% – most of us have the power within ourselves to accomplish this! You just gotta want it enough!
- You can take on an extra hustle
- Be a bad ass and EARN that raise yourself
- Cut back on your expenses so you don’t need an extra 10%
- Pay off your debts to free up 10% of interest
- Or any combination of the above
But of course that doesn’t make for a salacious study, so… ;)
Since we’re on the topic of Would You Rathers though, why don’t we dig up some of our own posed here over the years? We’ve done dozens of them!
Here are some of my favorites:
- Would you rather… Win $15,000 in dollar bills, or win $20,000 in quarters?
- Would you rather… Be rich 100 years ago, or average today?
- Would you rather… Have a salary of $50,000 where everyone around you only has $25,000 – OR – Make $100,000 but everyone around you makes $200,000?
- Would you rather… Continue working where you are right now – OR – start your dream job tomorrow BUT only get paid 1/2 of what you’re making today? ;)
- Would you rather… Have $250,000 in cash but also $250,000 in debt? -OR- Have $0.00 cash and $0.00 debt?
- Would you rather… Be attractive as hell BUT you never make more than $30k a year for the rest of your life – OR – you’re pretty damn ugly BUT you’re as rich as Oprah Winfrey?
I can play this game allllll day long, ladies and gentleman…
Share your answers below and we’ll continue gawking! ;)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!