Remember that movie Brewster’s Millions where the main character has to spend $30 million dollars in thirty days? And if he doesn’t he loses out on an inheritance worth $300 MILLION, and he’s also not allowed to tell anyone about it??
Well, today I thought we’d play a similar game, only instead of $30 million dollars let’s go with $50,000, and instead of keeping your mouth shut I want you to tell us how you’d spend it all if you only had this *weekend* to do it ;)
Why $50,000? Because it’s the exact amount that my favorite company in the whole world is giving away right now (USAA), as part of their Live Your Dreams Sweepstakes!! And yes – I’m getting paid to share this today which I happily agreed to because again it’s FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for someone!!
So #1) Play along with me here and share how you’d spend $50,000 in a weekend (and nothing boring and responsible please – let’s have some fun!!), then #2) I’ll tell you how you can enter to win these $50 Gs so we can hopefully make it a reality for you ;)
The giveaway’s going on until November 20th, and you don’t have to be a USAA member to enter!
#1. How would you spend $50,000 this weekend??
I’ll go first… And again, no “smart” stuff here like saving or investing or paying off all your debts… Yes, you can do that if you indeed win the $50,000 – I won’t stop you there – but just for fun let’s get a bit wild and crazy up in here and let out our inner spendthrift for once ;) Ain’t no one wants to read about paying off a fifth of your mortgage or investing it all in VTSAX which is exactly what my answer would be, haha…
What would you do if you weren’t allowed to be fiscally responsible with it?? What have you been dying to get but are too frugal to do it??
Here’s how I’d blow $50,000:
- Pick up this rare book I’ve been eyeing about my hometown ($250)
- Finally get a $1,000 bill to match my $500 (which ironically will cost $2,000!)
- Get lifetime memberships to all my favorite organizations ($6,000?)
- Buy my wife her beloved minivan ($30,000)
- Spend a day taking my kids anywhere they want to go, and any store they want to go in ($1,000?)
- Spend the next day dropping kids off at grandma’s and doing the same for us ;) ($1,000)
- Buy a family cemetery plot, because I finally found where I want to rest in peace!! ($7,500)
- Pick up a new metal detector to enhance my coolness ($250)
- Hand out $100 bills to people on the street who look sad ($2,000)
Boy, that was actually pretty hard! And felt a bit dirty! Haha…
But your turn now ;) How would you spend $50,000 if you had to over the weekend???
Channel your younger self when all you wanted to do was spend money!!
#2. How to enter to try and win $50,000 *for real*
Alright, so to enter you have *three ways* depending on how old school you want to do it ;) Do either of them by midnight on November 20th though and you’ll be entered to win. And again – you don’t need to be a member of USAA in order to enter.
Here are the three options:
- Get a life insurance quote through USAA by going here: www.usaa.com/lifesweeps (you’ll have to answer questions to see if you’re *eligible* to be a member, but regardless of the outcome you can still enter)
- Call USAA’s Life Insurance Company at 1-800-531-LIFE(5433) and tell them you’d like to be entered into the “USAA Live Your Dreams Sweepstakes.”
- Mail your name, address, city, state zip, date of birth, and phone number to: USAA Live Your Dreams Sweepstakes Entry c/o teamDigital Promotions, 6 Berkshire Blvd. Bethel, CT 06801
The winner will be announced around Dec. 14th, and again – either of the three will get you entered.
GOOD LUCK!! And I want a 6 pack if you turn out to be the big winner!!! (And an email with what you’re *actually* going to do with it for real :))
Back on Monday with more fiscally sexy thoughts again…
PS: Remember last week when I asked you if it’s ethical to enter giveaways if you have more than “enough” already? Does this giveaway here change anything?? ;)
PPS: As mentioned above, this is a sponsored post where I’m sharing the awesomeness that is USAA in exchange for money… Much less than $50,000 unfortunately.
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!