Haha… BABY! :) That little cutie of ours has filled out both in width and height – he’s in the top % for his age! Which is now 5 months, if you can believe that… Everyone says it, but man – they really DO grow before your eyes! And unfortunately so do the expenses…
Here’s a look at everything that’s changed since our last update 4 months ago:
- We’ve spent an additional $1,962.58 in costs, averaging out to about $500/mo (though we seem to be spending less as the months go by, which is surprising…)
- With the biggest costs coming from his health insurance @ $284 a pop (he’s stuck under my expensive plan ‘cuz the Mrs’ booted kids out from their school ones)
- But we got a $528.81 credit back ‘cuz we had overpaid for our pregnancy visits! Woo!
- Baby Money has grown to over 17 pounds now, up from around 9 I wanna say.
- He’s also now able to stand really well when we hold him and let him do it on his own :)
- And he’s gone from speaking in “ga-ga” language to “ARrghhhh AAHHHHH RghhhhH!!!” pterodactyl voice. Making it extremely hard at times to tell if he’s super excited or super angry, haha… something the doctor says is a-okay – he’s just testing out his vocal chords :)
- And finally, he’s sleeping a LOT more now throughout the night, with maybe only one or two awakenings now instead of like 16, haha… Making mommy and daddy very happy!
I’ve also really been loving my time alone with him every week as the wife assimilates into the working world again. The only problem now is that my work is really starting to back up, causing me to hustle late into the nights and over the weekend now just to catch up :( So we’re considering the day-care option again, probably just part-time to start, but of course that has a whole slew of pros and cons too. Chiefly financial at around $1,000 a pop JUST for a few half-days! It’s pretty BoNkErS. But on the other hand it would be great to free up a little time again AND surround the little guy with other babies and kids too which I’m sure he’d just love. We can’t keep him secluded at the house forever right? Or could we??? Haha… The idea of handing him over to strangers kinda freaks us out ;) But I guess we have to deal with it at some point.
We should know more about that in the next month or two, and of course will keep you updated. It’ll be pretty hard to hide a $1,000 charge every month anyways, haha… And in the meantime we’ll just continue loving all that quality time with him! :)
So from conception to five months old, we’re now at a grand total of $5,241.83 out of pocket. With only one last hospital bill remaining which will be either $1,200, or $200, all depending on what goes down when we call to challenge it ;) I’d tell you what it’s about, but the Mrs. is in charge cuz the whole thing just confuses me… Something about covering baby in womb vs. outside of?
Overall we feel like we’re doing pretty well though – what do you think? Do these numbers seem on par with any of your experiences? Or am I the only crazy one ever to track it all? (If you click that link you’ll see every single line item so far ;)) Either way I gotta admit it’s kinda fun. Not when I wait 4 months to update it and lose 3 hours in one sitting, haha, but def. seeing how it all pans out over time. I’ll work on updating the list faster this next round…
Only 17 and 1/2 more years to go! Then we find out exactly how much babies cost!
PS: Do you ever watch Parks and Rec? I’m thinking of taking a page from Tom Haverford’s play book and creating my own line of “baby swag” rental clothes since most of our hand-me-downs were fancy labels. Parents will not only SAVE a ton of money not having to buy new all the time, but their kids will look super fly in the process! YES! I’m gonna do it!
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!