If so, you could be reading this in your pajamas right now ;) Remember my friend who likes to push the boundaries at work and ask for what he wants? Like that “choose your own adventure” deal with salaries and time scales? Haha… Well he’s at it again. Only this time angling for Fridays off :)
It all stems back to the same thing it always does with him: having more time to pursue his hustles. But this time his employer (not the same one as before btw) is playing ball. They’re okay with his idea of taking Fridays off, which is great!, but in return it’ll come with a hefty price tag: Giving up 10% of his salary. And also working 9 hour days Monday through Thursday for a total of 36 (which he pretty much does anyways).
It took my friend approximately one hour and 30 seconds to come to his decision. Which of course was “Yes.” One hour of discussing it with me and going over all the potential pros and cons it’ll bring (he knows I love this stuff!), and then another 30 seconds to “sleep on it” ;)
Here were all the benefits we came up with:
- You get 3 day weekends EVERY WEEK!
- Which cuts down on all that stress you’re having – both mentally and physically
- You’ll probably make up that lost money anyways at your next raise!
- And maybe from the side hustles too (and then some!)
- You can also finally take vacations as needed
- Or go on road trips for soul searching
- Or even sit on your ass all day while laughing at us who DO have to work :)
But of course, what goes up can also go down:
- You lose a part of your pay check EVERY pay period
- You’ll probably still be “on call” in case things hit the fan on Fridays
- You may not use that time as productively as you might think (see last bullet up there)
- You have to REALLY make sure you’re killing it on those other 4 days or you’re liable to get fired!
- Your office mates might not like it very much. Whether they feel gypped, or whether it makes their job even harder knowing you’re out of commission now every Friday.
I told him if I were him, I’d take it hands down too. Only I’m not him – I’m me – with a business that will halt still and pile up if I were to enact something similar ;) The major downside to working for yourself, as everyone knows (though they choose to ignore and think we all work in our pajamas sipping coffee in La La Land!). If I was at someone else’s company though? Hell yeah I’d do it! Much easier to “leave work at the office” in that case. And the 10% cut would easily be made up for and MORE on my side stuff anyways with that extra day.
So. With all that in mind, if YOU were given this option presently at work – what would you choose? Could you survive without that 10%? And put in 9 hour work days M-Th as well? What would you do with your extra time every week?
I’ve said it before, but I absolutely LOVE challenging the norm like this at companies. It may not work for everyone, or even with all jobs, but it’s the creativity and TESTING things out that really get you farther along with your goals – no matter what they are. Even the “no”s make you feel good for giving it a shot! Which is more than you know half your co-workers would ever do ;)
PS: When you’re done answering this one, try out the other question we posed back in the crisis of 2009: Would you take a 10% pay cut if it meant saving an employee?
(Photo by herval)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!