[UPDATE: I called Comcast and within 18 mins got my bill lowered by $35/mo!! WOO! That’s $400 a year of savings! Your turn :)]
So I’ve been a naughty little budgeter lately, and haven’t dealt with something that’s been driving me BONKERS: Fixing our cable bill! I’m too ashamed to admit how longs it’s been going on, but needless to say we’ve been losing at *least* $50 a month for a while now. Every time I sit down to do it, though, I somehow convince myself I have more important things to do! (I don’t) I imagine this is how normal people feel about sitting down to do a budget, or review their credit card statements, or something ;) It’s not always fun!
But this weekend we put a stop to that. I, Mr. Personal Finance, do solemnly promise to call stupid Comcast and do whatever it takes to get my bill down to a normal amount again. No more $200+ bills!! (And no, I am not gonna give up my cable and premium channels, so don’t even suggest it ;) I don’t mind spending money on it, it just needs to be *reasonable*!).
I urge YOU to pick one of your *hates* and do the same this weekend! Don’t be like the stupid J. Money and keep pushing it toward the back of your head – be the GOOD J. Money! Stand strong with him, and knock it out once and for all. How can we be so smart in other departments, but then fail on the easy ones?? I’m over it, friends. And my wife is too. I’m pretty sure I’ve promised her at least 5 and 1/2 times that I’d do it already, haha… (sorry honey!).
If you can’t think of anything off your head to fix, here are a few ideas:
- Your budget (if you need a new one, check out some of these)
- Your checkbook (if you even remember what they are? ;))
- Your credit card interest rates (did you know that a 5 min call can literally save you hundreds of dollars down the road? If you’re paying more than 12% call them ASAP and speak to a manager!)
- Your insurance premiums (do you still need that much insurance? do you need MORE?)
- Your will (this remains on my list still, too – hard one!)
- Any lame presents/gifts that need returning? (this is easy!!)
- Any lingering bills you’ve been putting off (if you have the money, of course. if not, do a review of your skills for possible side hustle ideas?)
- Any invoices that you really need to send? (I’m looking at you, Mr./Mrs. Freelancer!)
- Any relationships you’ve been neglecting (not money related, but can still relieve stress!)
- Anything around the house that needs *literal* fixing?
Which reminds me. Our upstairs toilet keeps flushing weirder and weirder as the days go by. And I’m pretty sure it’s wasting more water (and money!) as this happens too… *sad trombone* One thing at a time though, right? What will YOU be fixing this weekend?
(Photo by schmilblick)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!