Heard that quote up there the other day and still nodding to myself at how true it is…
The simplest decisions have the power to change your life! For the better or worse!
Of course there are many other decisions that don’t result in squat and matter at all, haha, but those are the boring ones which we won’t be pondering about today ;)
Went down a mental list of all the choices I clearly remember making that ended up resulting in smart moves, and here’s what I came up with:
- Deciding to go to University
- Deciding to be cigarette and drug-free (hard to do at university!!)
- When I packed up all my stuff and moved to New York City
- When I finally decided to sign up to my company’s 401(k) plan
- When I started tracking my net worth
- When I started this blog instead of wasting even more time on MySpace (remember that? ;))
- When my future wife asked me where the bathroom was at my favorite bar, and I asked her to dance instead (she said no, but an hour later she came to her senses!)
- When I decided to go “all in” on myself and do this blog thing full-time
- When I gave up complaining, cursing, soda, and shopping when bored every day of my life – all results of my yearly Lent challenges that later became habits!
- When I decided I wanted to be a dad
- When I quit successful projects that no longer made sense for me
- And then finally, when I decided to put MY LIFE in front of my CAREER
All big moves whether I knew it at the time or not. And of course, there were plenty of failed decisions sprinkled along the way too, haha…
- That time I bought a house with no money down and no budget on a whim
- That time I threw out my back trying to lift a safe impatiently
- That time I drank too much and chipped a tooth during Beer Pong (still no idea how that happened?!)
- That time I invested $6,000 into a friend’s company and lost it all
- That time I invested $10,000 into another friend’s company and lost half of that too (I was on such a lucky streak back then that I let my guard down and was quickly put in my place, haha…)
- That time I let a friend borrow my car and then he crashed it
- That time I ordered a salad at a pancake restaurant (never again!!)
- (ALL) those times I put my career in front of my kids and my family
You can’t always be perfect, but you hope at least the WINS more than make up for all the FAILS over your lifetime! Haha… And even better if you can win at the big things and suck at the small things ;)
Fun question to ask yourself though as we head closer to the new year here and start making those resolutions…
What are some big decisions you already know right now that would completely change your life if you implemented them? What’s holding you back?
Most of us know what we should be doing, but it’s a whole other thing to make ’em happen. Let this be a gentle push to take that first step, and if you need an accountability partner along the way just drop me a note! Happy to root on a fellow money friend :)
You’re always just one decision away from a totally different life.
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!